This event is created to inspire people and their dogs to challenge themselves, get in shape and have a whole lot of fun! Please keep an eye on our obstacle page for frequent updates on the obstacles that will be included!
It is our goal to keep things as simple as possible, but in order for everyone to stay safe and have fun the following rules are in place:
A K9 Gladiator consists of a handler and one dog.
Eligibility of dogs:
- Dogs must be at least 18 months of age
- Dogs must be in good health
- Dogs with lameness will not be allowed to run (possible credits for future events will be determined on a case by case basis depending on the circumstances)
- Events are open to all healthy dogs of any breed or mix that fall within the established criteria
- Dogs that are aggressive towards people or other dogs will be dismissed from the grounds with no refund
- All competitors will wear a bib
- Staggered starts
- The first and second team members to finish determine team time.
NOTE: As every venue is different some obstacles will vary in difficulty from venue to venue. These are general rules and some rules may be amended for a particular venue for safety reasons.
- All dogs must be on a flat collar or harness and 6 ft. leash. Harnesses are highly recommended!
- No dog may be forced over or through an obstacle by pushing or pulling or any other means of compulsion. If your dog refuses an obstacle you get the penalty!
- A positive attitude and good sportsmanship required
- If your dog becomes lame or has health problems during the course, you must stop the race. We are sorry, but credits cannot be given once the start line has been passed.
- Some obstacles are divided into small, medium and large for different size dogs. Dog measurements are
- 16″ and under: Small
- 16.1″ – 21″: Medium
- 21.1″ and over: Large
Upon admittance to gladiator school a candidate was known as a Novicius gladiator. Your first entry in a K9 Obstacle and Mud event you will be entering as a Novicius K9 Gladiator. The top 15% from each of the following categories will then be eligible to compete in the Tiro K9 Gladiator class for cash prizes at our next event:
- K9 Gladiator Female individual
- K9 Gladiator Male individual
- K9 Gladiator Team
Novicius K9 Gladiator Rules:
Start of the Race:
- You must be on time in line for your start time.
- You must wait to pass the start line until the timer lets you go.
During the Race:
- There will be obstacle referees at every obstacle
- You may receive help from anyone entered in the race to overcome any of the obstacles.
- You may bring treats to reward your dog
- If you do not want to complete an obstacle ( or your dog refuses), instead, you may choose to do any one of the following
- 15 Burpees
- 20 Push ups
- 25 Sit ups
- 35 Jumping Jacks
- In order to receive your completion medal and awards packet you must finish the course; obstacle substitutions (above) are allowed.
- If you are having difficulty with an obstacle, please give way to competitors that over take you and signal (see below) that they want to pass. Let them complete the obstacle. Failure to do so will result in you and your dog being disqualified.
- If you overtake another competitor stuck on an obstacle, you have two choices:
- Help them over the obstacle
- Shout a loud “Pass!”
- If you overtake another competitor between obstacles, you must give them a heads up that you are going to pass. Shout a loud “Passing” or “Coming From Behind” and make sure to keep your dog on a short leash on the off side when passing as the other person may still not have heard you.
- Some obstacles will have a small, medium and large dog option. Small and medium dogs are allowed to take the larger dog options, but large and medium dogs are not allowed to take a lower obstacle meant for a smaller dog.
End of Race:
- You must pass the finish line!
Once a gladiator had been through his or her initial training they moved up from Novicius to Titos and were ready to compete! Our Titos class is for K9 Gladiators that have not only completed Novicius, but are the top 15%. They are eligible to compete for cash prizes in categories:
- Female K9 Gladiator
- Male K9 Gladiator
Fastest racers in 2 and 4 mile categories move on. Race will be run on 3 mile course.
Titos K9 Gladiator Rules:
General and Novicius K9 Gladiator rules apply except as follows:
- No help here! You are on your own.
- No substitutions. You must complete all obstacles.